our privacy is important to us.
The Aurora Education Foundation Ltd (ABN 28 158 391 363 ) (Aurora) has obligations under the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth). In accordance with the Australian Privacy Principles under this Act, we will only collect personal information from you where it is necessary to carry out our activities.
Privacy at Aurora
Why we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
Aurora may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
- to operate, protect, improve and optimise:
- our programs and the experience and well-being of our program participants;
- our websites, advertising and promotional activities, such as to perform analytics and conduct research about our activities;
- to enable you to access and use this website;
- to assess scholarship and bursary applicants and recipients and facilitate ongoing scholarships support and administration;
- to process your donation/s and complete tax receipt/s;
- to contact and communicate with you (including distributing newsletters and through social media);
- to deliver events, surveys or other promotional activities sponsored or managed by us or our program partners;
- to carry out our general business operations and activities; and
- to consider your volunteer or employment application.
What personal information do we collect?
We only collect personal information when it is necessary for, or directly related to our programs and activities. If you do not provide information, we may not be able to provide some or all of our services to you.
We may collect the following types of personal information from you:
- contact information for yourself and emergency contact
- date of birth
- payment and billing details (including credit card information if relevant)
- records of communication
- donation history
- information and documents about your education and/or career history
- medical or other information to ensure your safety and well-being whilst participating in our programs
- photographs and videos of you related to program or other involvement with Aurora.
We may also collect sensitive information such as:
- racial and ethnic origin where your Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander heritage is relevant to your engagement with Aurora
- health information as relevant to ensure your safety and well-being whilst participating in Aurora programs
- information about any criminal background if you are to assist in the delivery of our programs.
We will only collect this information when it is necessary for, or directly related to our services, functions or activities, and you have provided us with your consent.
When you apply for employment with us, we may collect your personal information, including name and contact details, information about your working history, referee reports and relevant compliance checks (including a national police check and a Working With Children check) in order for us to assess your suitability for employment. With your consent, this information may include information or an opinion about your suitability for working with youths under the age of 18, heritage if you are applying for a role identified for an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person, or other sensitive information.
Generally, we collect information directly from the relevant individual. Sometimes (for example where we are working with high school students) we may need to collect information about you from third parties including parents, carers, legal guardians or other third party information sources (for example, schools). We will do this if you have consented for us to collect, use or disclose the information in this way, or where it is not reasonable or practical for us to collect this information directly from you.
Storage and disclosure
We may hold your personal information in either electronic or hard copy form. We take reasonable steps, including a number of physical, administrative, personnel and technical measures, to protect your information from misuse, interference and loss, as well as unauthorised access, modification or disclosure.
We will not use or disclose any personal or sensitive information with third parties unless we have the express consent of the person to whom the information relates or their legal guardian, or are required to do so by law.
When you apply for or participate in Aurora programs, we may share your personal information with people or organisations involved in the delivery of those activities.
For example, when you apply for or participate in Aurora’s programs, including: study opportunities; scholarships or bursaries; we may share your personal or sensitive information with schools, universities (including overseas universities, such as in the UK or US), funders and supporters, service providers and insurers. This may include people or organisations outside of NSW or outside of Australia that are not required to handle that information in compliance with Australian Privacy Law. Whilst we cannot ensure that they comply with Australian law, we will, take reasonable steps to ensure that any overseas recipient will deal with such personal information in a way that is consistent with the Australian Privacy Principles.
Privacy on this website
When you use this website, you may choose to provide your name, email address or other personal details in order for us to:
- Respond to your queries about our programs;
- Respond to your query about working at Aurora;
- Administer and acknowledge your contributions or donations; and
- To keep you informed about our programs and results and involved in Aurora’s future.
Unless you have asked us not to, we may also send you further information and updates about Aurora. We generally use and disclose your personal information only for the purposes for which it was collected, unless otherwise required or authorised by law. When we collect personal information, we may sometimes also use it to help us to analyse how we can continue to fulfil our purpose as effectively as possible.
If at any time you do not want us to use your personal information to send you any further information, you can always let us know by unsubscribing from electronic communications, or contacting our Privacy Officer through the contact details below.
When you visit this website, we may record anonymous information about your visit and log the following information for statistical purposes and to allow us to develop better online services, such as:
- Your server address
- Your operating system (for example Windows, Mac etc.)
- Your top level domain name (for example .com, .gov, .au, .uk etc.)
- The date and time of your visit to the site
- The pages accessed and the documents downloaded
- The previous site visited
- The type of browser used.
This information is not specific to an individual and is used for system administration purposes, as well as statistical analysis. While anonymous information does not tell us anything about you specifically, it tells us about how you use our site.
Another type of anonymous information shared between your browser and our server is a cookie. A cookie is a small text file that a server places on your hard drive to identify that subsequent requests to a site have come from the same user.
Third party links
Access and correction
On request, we will provide you with access to most personal information that we have about you, but sometimes that will not be possible, in which case we will tell you why. If you would like to access your information or to find out what information we have about you, please contact our Privacy Officer at the contact details given below.
When you request access, we may need to take measures to verify your identity. If you think that any personal Information we hold about you is not accurate, complete or up-to-date, you may request us to correct that information. We will take reasonable steps to correct such personal information unless we disagree with you about whether the information is accurate, complete and up-to-date.
If you have any queries or would like further information about our privacy policies or practices, please contact our Privacy Officer via email, calling (02) 9310 84001, or by writing to:
The Aurora Project
100 Botany Road
Alexandria NSW 2015
If you wish to provide feedback or make a complaint, you may do so according to our Complaints Policy.